Friday, September 14, 2012

Interview with Author Karen Aminadra



I have the pleasure of introducing Author Karen Aminadra. The winner of the BRAG Medallion at www.bragmedallion.com
 

 Karen, what book had the greatest impact on you that you have read? What book made you want to write?

 I don’t think that any one single book made me want to write. I’ve always been a storyteller and loved to write as a child. As a child, I loved a couple of books in particular; When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr and The Amazing Mr Blunden by Antonia Barber. Both of them are historical and they blew me away, I’ve read them over and over again, and still love them today.
 

 
Of the books you've written, which is your favorite?


Well, Charlotte is my first book that was published, so it’s my baby, but Relative Deceit was the first book I actually started writing about 10 years ago. So, my answer is that both Charlotte and Relative Deceit are my favourite.
 
 


 

 What book is on your night stand?

 Now I am reading El Rey by Ginger Myrick. I don’t have a lot of time to read, at the moment unfortunately. I have too much on my plate! I need to change that.
 
 

What do you plan on reading next?

That’s a good question! I haven’t got a clue. After answering some of the above questions, I’d like to read some of those books again actually.

Of course I would want to meet the obvious ones; Shakespeare, Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, Dickens etc. I’d love to meet Thomas Hardy, I absolutely love his book The Mayor of Casterbridge and would like to talk to him about that. If you haven’t read it, it starts amazingly; a man gets drunk and auctions his wife off! Another writer I love and would like to have a chat with is Roald Dahl, he had the most amazing imagination, and I wish I could write like him!

 
Roald Dahl
 



 Please tell your audience a little about Charlotte?
 

 Charlotte Lucas was the best friend of Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice. She was a plain but smart girl, and she knew her marriage prospects weren’t good. When Elizabeth’s silly cousin, Mr Collins, came along, he asked Elizabeth to marry him. That was a repulsive thought to Elizabeth; she declined, he left the house and stayed with the Lucases. Well, Mr Collins, being daft, thought himself in love with Charlotte and proposed to her. Charlotte, knowing herself to be almost a spinster, and worried that she wouldn’t get another offer, accepted him. My book Charlotte continues as Pride and Prejudice ends. Life would not have been as rosy as she tried to convince Elizabeth that it was. She was isolated from friends and family, and had to live with Mr Collins, after all! Then to make matters worse her neighbour, Lady Catherine de Bourgh sticks her nose in where it’s not wanted.
 


 Of the scenes you have written for your story. Which is your favorite?
 

 I loved the scene of the card party. It seemed to write itself. Mr and Mrs Abbot took control of that from me completely. But, I loved thinking of Mr Collins reading a romance novel – that made me laugh.


Who is your favorite character in your story? Your least favorite?
 

 Of course, Charlotte is my favourite. However, I do love Louisa too. As for my least favourite, that’s easy – the Grande Dame of Rosings, Lady Catherine de Bourgh.
 

 What is your favorite event and time in History?
 
I love the Victorian Era. Despite all the war and the poverty, there was a lot happening at that time. If I had a time machine, that’d be one era I’d visit. (As a rich woman, of course.) I’d also like to find out the truth about the Vikings. There’s so much evidence that they weren’t marauders, I’d like to see that for myself.
I have also traced my family tree, so I’d like to go back in time and sneak a peek at my ancestors. One of them was Sir John Vassall, Alderman of London and the owner of the Mayflower. I’d like to find out about him too, and the true story behind that history.
 
 

 What advice would you give to an aspiring author?
 
Just do it. Go for it. Keep focused, and don’t get distracted. Surround yourself with people you can trust, editors, proof readers, cover artists etc. That’s important, as there are a lot of charlatans out there. If in doubt, there are a lot of author groups that will offer advice. It’s hard work, but worth it in the end.
 
 
What is your favorite quote?

I’ve always loved Shakespeare’s line from A Comedy of Errors; “Many a man hath more hair than wit.” That’s so true

 
 
 
 Author Bio & Links
 
Karen Aminadra (pronounced Amin-ah-dra) is an author and teacher who lives in Northamptonshire, England with her husband. She was born in London and grew up in Hertfordshire ‘the land of Jane Austen’s Pride & Prejudice’. She has travelled, lived and worked all over the world including Ecuador, Russia and Spain. She still has the 'wanderlust' and loves to travel.
 
At the age of 11, Karen won a writing competition at school with a horror story which had a twist in the tale and ended comically. This produced much needed encouragement from her teachers, spurred her on, and she has been writing stories ever since.
 
She not only writes Jane Austen Continuation Novels, but other types of Fiction Novels with a good helping of historical romance, crime and mystery. She loves to read, loves history, Georgian architecture and learning about other cultures.
 
 

To find out more please visit www.karenaminadra.com
Follow me on twitter @kaminadra and Facebook
And learn more about me and my work on my blog.


indieBRAG

We are delighted that Stephanie has chosen to interview Karen Aminadra who is the author of Charlotte, one of our medallion honorees at www.bragmedallion.com. To be awarded a B.R.A.G. MedallionTM, a book must receive unanimous approval by a group of our readers. It is a daunting hurdle and it serves to reaffirm that a book such as Charloote merits the investment of a reader’s time and money.


Thank you!
Stephanie
Layered Pages


3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this great interview very much with the lovely Karen and the book is a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely interview with the delightful Karen and the book is a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a nice interview, more interesting questions that the usual ones!

    ReplyDelete